Teaching & Learning
Driven by Excellence
Driven by Excellence: People
The best teachers—Gilman teachers—perceive what a boy is capable of, even before his parents might. What they do with that information in the moment, and how we empower them to do what they do, makes an immediate and lasting difference to boys.
These “teaching moments” are the heart of a Gilman education. When we invest in teachers, we recognize and strengthen their direct influence on the boys and young men they teach, coach, and mentor throughout every Gilman school day and beyond.
Our teachers know how boys learn, and they nurture amazing progress in the classroom. When coaching and other out-of-class mentoring time commitments are factored in, Gilman teachers return more value than we can measure.
The campaign calls for an investment of $12.35 million in endowed funds that will assist with recruiting and retaining superb teachers, including:
- One endowed one-year faculty fellowship for an aspiring teacher who has not yet earned an advanced degree.
- Two endowed two-year faculty fellowships for aspiring teachers participating in the University of Pennsylvania Independent School Teaching Residency (ISTR).
- One endowed senior faculty chair, providing recognition and a stipend to honor exceptional senior teachers.
- One endowed junior faculty chair, providing recognition and a stipend to honor exceptional rising teachers.
- Two endowed teacher/coach chairs, providing recognition and a stipend to honor exceptional teachers on and off the field.
- An endowed fund for faculty professional development and continuing education.
- An endowed faculty and staff appreciation fund to annually reward Gilman’s talented faculty and staff for a job well done.
Driven by Challenge: ProgramWe know that a Gilman student’s appetite for a challenge grows with each new accomplishment. However, fast the world changes, and with each new resource we put in their hands, Gilman students excel—and lead the way.
The campaign calls for an investment of $1 million in educational program enhancements and new initiatives, including:
- Expansion of the global studies program, which allows boys to experience significant cultural immersion trips with thorough integration into the curriculum.
- An innovation fund to help speed the implementation of changes that can have immediate benefit to boys, including entrepreneurial initiatives and new learning modules, regardless of whether opportunities coincide with the annual budget cycle.